Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Latest book I just finished was An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Now you have to understand that I have waited for at least 3 years for this book of hers which is a sequel and #7, I believe in the series. I bought the book in October and waited until late December to open it and read it.

Almost immediately, I noticed there were way too many sub-plots going on and whole sections of the book that could have been left out. There is the Brianna and Roger & family plot, Jamie and Claire plot, Lord John Grey plot, William (Jamie's son and a British soldier), Dottie plot, Henry plot, Rachel and Denzell Hunter plot, Ian plot, Jenny and Ian plot (Ian Sr., that is), etc. Not only that, but there was quite a bit of switching between the 18th and 20th centuries which was to be expected.

As I neared the end of the book, several major things happened and I could see that there were going to be things left unresolved or, worse, hastily put together. I closed the book today and was thoroughly disgusted! There are WAY too many loose ends and things left to one's imagination and, right now, I am furious with Ms. Gabaldon!! Now it looks like I'll have to wait another three years to find out what happens to Rachel and Ian, William, Henry, Jem, Brianna, Roger, Rob Cameron, Dottie and Dennie, etc. That is totally unfair to your readers, Diana! We are not tepid fans, you know. Most, if not all, of us wait as patiently as we can for your next sequel and deserve so much more than you gave us in this book.

You wasted too much time on details of the battles, side trips of stories that really added nothing to the main characters and the plots. I had seen some poor reviews of this novel on Amazon and dismissed them right away but no so any more. I am not altogether sure I'll put myself through another 888 pages to be left hanging like this again!

No comments: